Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Great Outdoors

I really can’t see the point of camping. To leave the comfort of your own home to go and sit under the stars, the moon, the elements, ……..if you think about it, that really defeats the purpose of a house, that you so struggled to attain or for some of us who are past the “why are you still in my house” date? Why didn’t you just call it a day and move to the forest initially? I can see the point of camping maybe if it is to avoid that hideous face of your landlord, water and ludicrous power bills from a truly defunct and futile power agency. To be one with nature, is the usual excuse, or I want to go to “the great outdoors to find myself”, well every time I leave my house I am already in the great outdoors.
Crazy drivers, just crossing the road gives you an adrenaline rush, super bionic mosquitoes, no water, no power; sometimes in my house I feel like I’m camping, just me and my candles as the power mafia feel the need to regulate my power intake, as I listen to the sights and sounds of Nairobi: Someone trying to clear their throat after being strangled out of their dues, I call it the “Strepsil treatment” or the classic “Backstroke” where someone sneaks up behind you, grabs you from behind and his accomplice picks you up from your feet and proceeds to “borrow” your shoes, the usual matatu conductor getting cussed out, the neighborhood drunk trying out for “MTAA’S (Hood's) NEXT IDOL” With all these dangers and pleasant sounds, why do we seek to live our lives on the edge in the wild while the city is so courteous enough to give us our own “Great outdoors” Why should we dance around a camping fire, skipping daintily and holding hands, what are we, trying to summon spirits?!? We have made great strides in civilization and fought for freedom not to be there, the next time you go camping think, “What would Thomas Edison think? He got electrocuted about a 1000 times trying to give you light but noooooooooo you want to go and sit under a moon“I want to find myself” someone retorts, well let me save you the psychologist, self help book fees………”LOOK IN THE MIRROR!” or you could just find God? I don’t need a chimpanzee or a koala bear to help me find myself.
I think I want to get away from it all………..

No comments:

Post a Comment